Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Working through Word

Talk about "digital immigrant," it just took me five minutes to log onto this blog-spot! Apparently, I didn't remember my password OR user-name too well! Oh my!!

I really appreciate reading some of the comments that responded to my last blog about feeling like an immigrant. Honestly, there is so much technology advances in this day and age, I feel like I can never keep up and that I'm always learning something new. That's the great thing about being a teacher though-you constantly need to keep educating yourself, so really, you should never be behind!

Microsoft word. Simple. Everyone has used it, right?

Sure!

I've recently learned some new things though that I never before realized. For example, did you know that if you click the "alt" button and the triangles on the document to change the margins that you can actually see the numbers of the margin pages? INCREDIBLE! Or, if you want several pieces of text throughout your document to have the same format, you can highlight the text and double click the format painter to couple the format to multiple places? I always WONDERED how to do that!

Or, we can get really technical here and talk about the differences in types of fonts: serif and sans serif. I had NO IDEA that serif font (those with characters on the end, like Times New Roman) was easier to read on paper than sans serif font (i.e. Ariel, Comic Sans), which is easier to read on screens! Now I really know how to make a document look good, professional, AND technology-savvy. :)

It's incredible how much you can learn about a program. I've used Microsoft Word for years, but there are so many short-cuts, formatting tools, and additional applications within the program that can really "make life easier" for educators. I really appreciate this class; I feel like it will be one of the most practical education classes that I take my entire college career! Teachers really need to make sure that they take complete advantage of the workshops that are offered to them in order to renew their knowledge about these services!

Time for lunch, talk to you all soon!

Melissa :)

1 comment:

Justine said...

MJ,

I completely agree with you and your fabulous blog on Microsoft Word. The past two classes, I have learned so much about text boxes, clip-art, margins, etc. that I never knew about.

I mean, who would have thought that there was a difference in the type of font you use? I certainly didn't.

I 100% agree that this class is going to be the most practical education class education majors take. I now know how to successfully use Microsoft Word, which is extremely important for teachers to know. I can only imagine what we will learn next!

hope you have a great weekend

justine :-)