Sunday, September 9, 2007

Too Far Behind?

Reflections about "Tech" in the classroom...

Recently, with my new "Technology and Education" class, I've been forced to face the reality that I'm a "technological immigrant," that my students are growing up as "technological natives" and that I'm going to need to adapt into their culture in order to reach them with things that I want to teach them.

Suddenly, I'm feeling a bit pressured.

I never really considered the impact that technology has on education. Granted, yes, I always knew that my students would be using computers for word processing, research, "educational games," and that I myself could organize files, tests, and resources on my own computer. After observing in an elementary classroom in January, I considered the possibility (and the reality) of including music within my lessons-and using PowerPoint even for first graders. Even though I, myself don't own an IPOD or use ITunes, I figured "Okay, I can learn this. This shouldn't be too hard..."

Now, as I learn about the relevance of technology within even a seven-year old's world, I have a terrible fear of not being able to catch up! Have I already fallen too far behind? I don't even have an IPOD!! Will I ever be able to "catch myself up" with the Second Life? Has a Third Life even started? Of course I want to include technology in my classroom..especially if that is going to be the most direct way to connect to students; however, have I fallen so far behind already?

I think I'll manage. I just need to be accepting to the fact that teaching isn't all about notebooks and folders anymore.

Well, okay, yes, it does involve that...those notebooks and folders just happen to be digital now.



Ahh..until next time folks! :)
I hope you all enjoy your week!!

MJ

2 comments:

spidermonkey said...

I agree with feeling like a "digital immigrant". Students today seem to be so involved with technology much more than when we were students. Be the time I student teach I want to feel like a digital native. Try talking to different teachers to see what tech. they use in the classroom.

LM said...

Hey MJ!

I definitely agree with you that there is a lot of pressure out there for future teachers regarding technology. I mean how can we feel like confident teachers when students are teaching us "digital immigrants" how to use certain computer features and fixing the projector, DVD players, etc. for us when we can't start the lesson? :-o

The best advice I have for me, you, and all the future teachers with this fear of the technology divide is not to be hesitant about learning new things-whether it is in tech class, observing in the schools, or with help from a student! :-) We'll never be comfortable enough to teach with tecnology if we aren't open to help from from all-even the young, elementary students who themselves are already digital natives. Just keep trying to incorporate tech as much as you can to ease into your future years in the classroom :-D