Sunday, October 21, 2007

Websites...grrrrr!!!

Hey blog-readers!

This past week our class was assigned to design a “teacher homepage” of our future classroom website. I was so incredibly excited about the assignment when we discussed the requirements and expectations (I was even thinking about making my OWN website for a campus organization through the free web-site creators)! However, what I came to discover after spending a week trying to articulate the details and information on the webpage…I was incredibly, incredibly, frustrated! Oh boy! I never imagined that I could become so sick of a project so early on!

I began to design my homepage using “free-webs.” I really loved the variety of templates that could be used, as well as the tutorial that walked new users through the process of creating a webpage. However, I easily became frustrated when I found that I couldn’t move text boxes around the website, or that I couldn’t easily post pictures or clip art on the site. Although I kept my account at Free-Webs, I quickly moved to another highly praised website creator, Google-Pages.

Google-pages immediately offered me an adorable template (what my webpage now sits upon). I immediately felt refreshed by the change of formatting, headings, and the easy option to place images within the document. However, perhaps just as quickly as I discovered while using free-webs, I felt extremely restricted. I did not enjoy not being able to use fonts other than the ones offered or not being able to increase text sizes, or being able to only “square” my images and photos. I became easily discouraged by margin sizes, wrap-around text, and the change between fonts and sizes when changing between a PC and a MAC!

Boy, did I never imagine so many problems! I don’t think I ever want to hassle through creating a website again. (I know can see how, on top of time, teachers’ websites are not always so impressive!) I do hope that when I become a teacher, we will be given tutorials on how to use media to especially design websites for students and parents.

Perhaps I’ll become more patient as we continue to learn…

Until next time,
MJ

Check out my blog! http://mmj091.googlepages.com/home

No comments: